“And David had a craving and said, ‘Oh that someone would give me water to drink from the well of Bethlehem which is by the gate!’ So the three mighty men forced their way into the camp of the Philistines, and drew water from the well of Bethlehem, which was by the gate, and carried it and brought it to David. Yet he would not drink it but poured it out as an offering to the Lord.”
2 Samuel 23:15-16
David was hiding from Saul in the cave of Adullam. Three of the unnamed mighty men came to him. True and godly men will stick with you during the tough times. David was thinking out loud, saying he wished he had a drink of water from the well of Bethlehem. He wasn’t requesting that these men go after it, just sharing a longing of his heart, a longing for a taste of home.
Risking their lives, these three went into the Philistines-occupied territory, broke through their powerful defense, retrieved the water from the well, and brought it back to David. That’s how loyal they were to him and unafraid of the enemy’s stronghold. David was so moved by the gesture that he refused to drink the water but instead poured it out as an offering of worship to the Lord. The result of breaking through a stronghold is to glorify God.
5 Lessons on Fighting Through for a Breakthrough
- Be willing to fight for what you believe in. These men believed in David, and his wish became their command. They had a purpose that was bigger than their fear of the enemy.
- You can break through the enemy’s territory when you are doing it in the power of the Holy Spirit. Jesus says that there are some things that can only be overcome by faith, prayer, and fasting.
- You must have faith that God will give you what you need to break through the enemy’s stronghold.
- Remember, a stronghold is something that Satan controls and defends against any attack. Strongholds are sin habits or that which appears immovable, yet is only immovable when God is not involved.
- Pleasing God must be your goal. The only thing that mattered to these mighty men was pleasing their king. The right motivation to break through a stronghold is to please King Jesus.
Whatever stronghold you are dealing with in your life, the resurrection power of Jesus Christ can give you the breakthrough you need. (This is from the devotional, 31 Leadership Lessons from David’s Mighty Men).