Proverbs 18:24b; Song of Solomon 5:16
Men should have close male friends, and women should have close female friends. However, you should be your husband’s best friend and him yours. Focusing on building a close friendship with your husband will reap incredible benefits, benefits you will readily understand when you are empty nesters when it’s just the two of you. If you have spent years putting your husband second, building your friendship while the kids are still home, you will welcome the season of an empty nest because you are already best friends. Working on this every single day will result in the best of friendships.
That friend who sticks closer than a blood brother should be or include your husband.
What are the characteristics of a friend? Love, loyalty, honesty, confidentiality, kind- ness, help, respect, encouragement, and togetherness. Work daily at being your hus- band’s best friend. Yes, he needs male friends, and you need female friends; however, your number-one friend should be your husband.
5 WAYS TO BE YOUR HUSBAND’S BEST FRIEND
- Make certain you include your husband when making plans, seeking his counsel. He wants to feel included.
- Do fun things together at least once a week (weekly date just for the two of you). This does not have to be costly. Get creative on doing things together, especially during the financially lean years.
- Learn to laugh together. Enjoy each other and make sure you are willing to laugh at yourself and with each other.
- Keep no secrets from him. Secrets will emerge. Expose them now. When a secret is exposed to the light of God’s Word, it loses its power.
- Think about ways to encourage him, help him, and bear his burdens.