Now the tax collectors and sinners were all gathering around to hear Jesus.
Men, it is essential that you build meaningful relationships. Jesus intentionally built relationships with people who did not have a relationship with God. He gathered tax collectors, who were notoriously despised by the world and sinners of all kinds. He spent time with them. He showed love and compassion to them. He understood they had a need only He could meet. Jesus never compromised His holiness; however, He took the time to listen to them and show them God’s love. The Pharisees, the legalists, were critical of Jesus’ relationship with the lost. Many people came into a relationship with God because Jesus took the time to demonstrate to them how much God cared for them.
Real masculinity, like the kind Jesus demonstrated, intentionally builds relationships with those who do not know God. Whether a family member, a neighbor, someone at work, or someone he often encounters, this man takes the time to communicate, listen, and do things that reflect he cares for the lost. The gospel message is most effectively shared through relationships.
Tips on Building Relationships:
- Commit to God that you will intentionally attempt to build a relationship with someone who does not profess Christianity. Look for this person at work and in your neighborhood. The person may even be a member of your family.
- Ask God to give you relationships with the lost. They may be people you see throughout your daily routine.
- People are more likely to come to Christ as a result of a relationship.
- You must use great discernment in developing a friendship with someone who is lost. Avoid becoming like them or compromising your convictions to win their favor.
- Always be thinking of things you can do and say to the lost that will help build a bridge of friendship with them.
The gospel is only good news if it gets there in time.
– Carl F. H. Henry